Things you should know

  • The signed and witnessed NOTICE OF INTENDED MARRIAGE (NOIM) must be received by the celebrant one month and one day to the wedding ceremony.
  • The celebrant must sight your original birth certificates and some photo identification. If born in WA you can pick them up on the same day at the Registry office.
  • If your birth certificate is in a language other than English, an official translation from the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Iterpreters (NAATI). Where an overseas birth certificate cannot be obtained then a valid overseas passport can be used as evidence of name.
  • Where either the bride or groom has been divorced or widowed , divorce or death certificates must be sighted by the celebrant prior to the marriage.
  • Where a person wishes to marry while under the age of 18, consent for the marriage must be obtained from a magistrate as well as consent from the parents. Consent cannot be given if both parties are under the age of 18.
  • Two witnesses over the age of 18 are required to sign the marriage certificates.
  • A legal marriage ceremony must include the Monitum and the minimum Vows decreed by the Marriage Act of 1961.