Frequently Asked Questions

You need ‘original’ documents when lodging the Notice of Intended Marriage, including: Birth Certificate or extract of entry of birth showing place and date of birth or passport . If you are a resident/citizen of a country outside of Australia and you legitimately cannot obtain your Birth Certificate from your country of origin, you are required to provide a Passport. A Certificate of Divorce or a Certificate of Nullity, if previously married. A Certificate of Death, if previous spouse is deceased. Change of Name Certificate if a name has been changed from that on your birth certificate.

Usually 20 – 30 minutes.

  • beaches
  • your home
  • botanical gardens
  • hotels and restaurants
  • chapels
  • on a bridge

You most certainly can write your own vows. However, there are several requirements to keep in mind. The Marriage Act requires that you include some minimum requirements: 1. You must use the words “spouse” or “husband” and “wife” in the marriage vows. “Partner” and other terms are not permitted under the Marriage Act of 1961. 2. You must use your ‘full’ names at least once in the ceremony. 3. The following phase must be used – “I call upon the persons here present to witness that I (full name) take you (full name) to be my lawfully wedded husband/wife.

No, you don’t have to remember your vows, unless of course you really want to or, I can lead you through your vows and you can repeat them line by line after me. The choice is yours.

It is not essential , however, you are entitled to have a rehearsal if you desire one. It is recommended that you have a rehearsal if your wedding ceremony is quite detailed and involves the participation of other people.

Yes, you will be presented with a marriage certificate (issued by the Commonwealth of Australia) on the day of your wedding. This certificate is recognized in every country of the world. This certificate is evidence that you are married, but included in my fee is a ‘registered’ copy of your marriage certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

There are no extra charges or hidden charges that you need to pay me. My fee is all inclusive.

You pay the deposit of $150.00 on the completion of the Notice of Intended Marriage.

Usually two (2) weeks before the Marriage Ceremony.

If you have children from a former relationship, it is wise to acknowledge their role and place in your changing relationship. You are encouraged to consider including them in the ceremony.

  • The signed and witnessed NOTICE OF INTENDED MARRIAGE (NOIM) must be received by the celebrant one month and one day to the wedding ceremony.
  • The celebrant must sight your original birth certificates and some photo identification. If born in WA you can pick them up on the same day at the Registry office.
  • If your birth certificate is in a language other than English, an official translation from the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Iterpreters (NAATI). Where an overseas birth certificate cannot be obtained then a valid overseas passport can be used as evidence of name.
  • Where either the bride or groom has been divorced or widowed , divorce or death certificates must be sighted by the celebrant prior to the marriage.
  • Where a person wishes to marry while under the age of 18, consent for the marriage must be obtained from a magistrate as well as consent from the parents. Consent cannot be given if both parties are under the age of 18.
  • Two witnesses over the age of 18 are required to sign the marriage certificates.
  • A legal marriage ceremony must include the Monitum and the minimum Vows decreed by the Marriage Act of 1961.

The decision to marry is one which should be taken only after a lot of thought.  As your marriage celebrant I can offer information on where you can arrange to speak with professionals in pre-marriage education.  A list of agencies which run pre-marriage education programs can be found on the Family Relationship website at or call Relationships Australia on 1300 364 277; Or Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321.